[Usability] Re: [Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME

Mike Shaver shaver at mozilla.org
Tue Dec 13 08:12:27 PST 2005

On 13-Dec-05, at 12:03 PM, Pedro M (Morphix user) wrote:

> Easy to use and one command for more often task or action is not
> subjective.

"Easy to use" is very subjective.  If you don't believe me, ask
10,000 people if a given GNOME app is easy to use or not, and then
tell me which objective measure will pick out the wrong answers from
the right ones.

> I.e. I would like a  Gnome tool

I think it's very important for everyone involved in some form of
Linux desktop thought-leadership (even people like myself who have no
leadership role whatsoever, and are just ISV reps) to step away from
"I would like".  You and I are not interesting GNOME users, in part
because we already _are_ GNOME users.  The interesting GNOME users
are the ones that haven't tried it yet, and we need to figure out why
they haven't.  There are lots of things that I want in GNOME, but if
they aren't going to bring a hundred thousand of my closest friends
along as well, I would hope that nobody goes out of their way to do
them.

Mike