[Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME

Timothy D. Witham wookie at osdl.org
Tue Dec 13 09:55:59 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 12:38 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/13/05, Mike Shaver <shaver at mozilla.org> wrote:
> > But if it Just Works, then users don't have to go in there until they
> > are into the (possibly-perpetual) "intermediate" stage.  You can use
> > a biohazard symbol next to the Edit->Preferences menu item if you want.
> >
> > Is user adoption being hampered on a large scale by a lack of print
> > options, or the polish in those print options?  It seems like an odd
> > thing to spend a lot of energy on, but I will freely concede that I
> > have spent very very little time studying barriers to Linux desktop
> > adoption.
>
> I think some of what I'm trying to express is in line with what you're saying:
>
>  - my big question on the PPD stuff would not be "is there an advanced tab" but
>    "is there anything important that's relegated to the advanced tab instead
>    of being somewhere better" - who really cares if there's an advanced tab

    Maybe this is mainly an issue of how people perceive the responses
things
that aren't implemented. (Assuming that the options will eventually be
implemented.)

>  - the idea with metacity was *not* to avoid having a huge prefs
> dialog; the idea was to have
>    the defaults be such that many people wouldn't need to go into the
> prefs dialog.

    This is a good approach.  I guess the issue that some of us have
is that we used to be able to and it hasn't been put back in as of
yet.   Hopefully this is just a transition issue.