[Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME

Timothy D. Witham wookie at osdl.org
Tue Dec 13 10:56:20 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 05:02 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Timothy D. Witham">
>
> >      But if you send the mail to somebody not using Evolution you get
> > choppy
> > lines heck you can get choppy lines if you send it to and Evolution user
> > if
> > they are using a different window size.  (I'm not fixing the paragraph
> > so you can see what happens.)
>
> Right, so I can see this from your emails, but could not reproduce it with
> Evolution here. The text formatting (which is also used to produce extra
> text/plain attachments when sending HTML mail) seems to work correctly.

    I'm sending text mail.

> > > Didn't really understand this description. You can hide those buttons if
> > > they get in your way.
> >
> >    How?  I've looked  - please tell me.
>
> View > Switcher Appearance > Hide buttons

   Great - thanks - was that a 2.4 addition?

> > Yes, but what I get when I do that is a new window of the exact same
> > component that I'm running right now.  What I used to be able to get was a
> > calendar window sized and formatted the way I used it.  Now I get a
> > default window (always) formatted and sized as the window I launched it
> > from.  That's fine for a novice user but I want to have it my way not the
> > way that somebody else decided it should be.
>
> I can reproduce it here with the separated menu entries for each component.
> Sounds like a regression within the 2.x series (probably between 2.0 and
> 2.2)... Have you filed a bug? If it hasn't been seen to already, then it's
> probably because no bugs were filed about the change.

    It happened with the 1.x (can't remember what I was running before 2.0)
to 2.0 release).  I complained and reported it then.

> (On a bit of a tangent, I've been encouraging the Evolution maintainers to
> ditch the 'one big blob of groupware' Outlook-style interface, and craft
> each component as separate, task-optimised applications. They'll still work
> together nicely, but they won't all be boxed up in that terribly generic
> box.)

   Yes, thank you.  You don't need the same layout for the different
functions.

Tim

Timothy D. Witham - Chief Technology Officer - wookie at osdl.org
Open Source Development Lab Inc - A non-profit corporation
12725 SW Millikan Way - Suite 400 - Beaverton OR, 97005
(503)-906-1911  (office)    (503)-702-2871   (cell)
(503)-626-2436  (fax)