[Desktop_architects] Good Job

Ryan Richards tobias.richards at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 21:27:09 PST 2005

Mr. Waugh:

Having recently read about Mr. Torvalds's comments on the KDE vs. Gnome
matter, I found the thread and drilled down into it a bit. It seems to me
that the features that Torvalds and others are complaining about are trivial
at best, while the complaints themselves are bloated. I intend to continue
using Gnome, and I'd like to tell you why: it uses 50MB less memory than
KDE. Now, I'd only classify myself as an intermediate Linux user (not an
expert, but not a beginner), but I can tell when Mepis and Fedora with KDE
use 140MB to show me a desktop, while Ubuntu and Fedora with Gnome use 90MB
to show me my desktop. Yeah, I could use Ice WM or no GUI and save EVEN MORE
memory, but Gnome gives me features that are worth the extra RAM. The
features talked about in the thread are not worth--at least to me--50MB.

So keep up the good work, and don't let your memory requirements get all
loosey-goosey like KDE :-) And take heart: from my point of view, the
fastest growing and most talked about distribution today, Ubuntu, is doing a
good job of keeping Gnome in the spotlight despite the fact that certain
people want to throw their weight around to influence people about whose
product to use.

Best regards,
Toby Richards