[Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME

Norm Jacobs Norm.Jacobs at Sun.COM
Fri Dec 16 10:35:13 PST 2005

Martin Konold wrote:

>Am Donnerstag, 15. Dezember 2005 07:13 schrieb Norm Jacobs:
>
>Hi Norm,
>

>>In general, the sooner we get applications
>>using the print dialogs available in the toolkits on the platform (in
>>this case, the new GTK print dialog), the better.
>>

>I disagree because this ties the 3rd party application to a specific desktop.
>For the success of the Linux Desktop it is imho mandatory that 3rd party
>applications integrate well in any desktop which follows the same common
>protocol spec e.g. RUDI.

My point is that most applications have no need to build their own
print dialog.   If the application is using a particular toolkit and already
using it's file selection dialog and other components, the app should
be asking the toolkit for a print dialog.  If there is is a common dialog
that most (preferably all) toolkits can provide, great.

       -Norm