[Desktop_architects] Runtime dependency limitations

Brooks, Phil phil_brooks at mentor.com
Mon Dec 19 09:57:09 PST 2005

> This ISV disagrees, and would look at every improve-integration-via-
> optional-call case on a cost-benefit basis, I think.
Sure, if I want something badly enough, I will jump through any hoops
that are there to provide it.  For convenience features that make the
end user's experience more consistent, I will just say "Linux doesn't
really provide any sort of consistent way of doing that."

> Well, if by "prefer" you mean "in a perfect future in which someone
> else did it for us exactly in accordance with our application model,
> etc.", then yeah, sign me up. =)

Application model?  I am looking for a consistent platform model.

The debate here is whether it would be more beneficial to a consistent
platform model to put something like Rudi together or to put a bunch of
effort into DT_USEFUL so that people can write a bunch of conditional
code that tries to do the best it can in most places.

I don't know enough about Rudi to endorse it, but DT_USEFUL is not
something I would lay any bets on solving the problems of providing a
full featured desktop experience for end users.

Phil

On 19-Dec-05, at 12:29 PM, Brooks, Phil wrote:
> ISVs would prefer not to fiddle with anything that is optional or
> implemented in more than one way depending upon choices that the
> user made (i.e. which distro is loaded, which desktop is running
> etc.)

This ISV disagrees, and would look at every improve-integration-via-
optional-call case on a cost-benefit basis, I think.

Well, if by "prefer" you mean "in a perfect future in which someone
else did it for us exactly in accordance with our application model,
etc.", then yeah, sign me up. =)

Mike