[Desktop_architects] Most wanted Application: Email

Timothy D. Witham wookie at osdl.org
Wed Dec 21 13:58:08 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 16:31 -0500, Mike Shaver wrote:
> On 21-Dec-05, at 4:19 PM, Otto Wyss wrote:
>
> > From the Linux desktop survey the most wanted application is an
> > Emailer. So let’s get this problem solved, a cross-platform Emailer
> > which is good enough to replace Outlook as the default Emailer for
> > the masses.
>
> Yeah, let's get that problem solved!  Why didn't anyone think of that
> before? =)
>
> I don't know from wyoGuide, or why it's a requirement (or why POP3
> needs to be in a separate library (or, TBH, why there are
> implementation requirements at all, at this point)) but your
> description is not very far from either Thunderbird or post-Windows-
> port Evolution, as I read it.  (Maybe Kmail, I dunno anything about it.)
>
> The Linux desktop survey didn't make it clear to me what specifically
> was wrong with the current offerings in terms of email, though I'll
> confess that I saw it was about enterprise deployment and started
> skimming.  Clearly (?) there is some critical failing in the current
> Evo/Tbird/Kmail offerings, but I don't think it's anything on your
> current list, because that stuff is pretty much covered.
>
> Anyone know more?

    It isn't the client side.  It is the server side.

    1) Good sync with handheld devices.
 	  Phone, Blackbeary (sp?) and Plam or pocket PC
    2) Group calendaring including meeting scheduling.
		i..e.  I want to check if Tom, Bill, Linus and Buddy the wonder
		       dog are available at 10:00 PM.
	      This includes a laptop resyncing when it gets back to a
               connected state and the last know schedule being
              available on a server.
    3) Proxies for executives.   i.e. Setup an admin to be able to respond
        to the executive's mail so that it appears to be coming from the executive
        so the lower folks don't know that the executive doesn't read most of
        their own mail.

 P.S. Open source because they don't want to be locked in like what happened
         with their last supplier of group mail/calendaring.

   This seems to be the problem as folks keep doing new clients when the
issues is the server side stuff.

Tim