[Desktop_architects] Most wanted Application: Email

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Thu Dec 22 00:32:33 PST 2005

Am Mittwoch, 21. Dezember 2005 23:35 schrieb Mike Shaver:

Hi,

> I must not be understanding this requirement, because that sounds
> like the sort of thing that is done by setting up the admin's mail
> client to point at the same IMAP account as the executives.  If
> that's really the #3 issue, though, it sounds like we're in good shape.

No the requested feature is called delegation (not password sharing!). It is
implemented for example in Kolab (www.kolab.org) and deployed for many
thousand users. (Yesterday I just got aware of a large deployment contract
for 40.000 seats with 2.500 this year already)

Delegation capabilities is mandatory for serious enterprise messageing.

> I don't understand -- Linux desktop deployment is gated by there not
> being open source servers on Linux for mail and calendaring?

The Kolab server is an OSS server for email, calendaring, todo, contacts,...
which is designed to be compatible with Exchange/Outlook and OSS clients like
KDE Kontact. This architecture is fundamentally different from a RDBMS based
solution which tries to somehow "synchronize" with OL. The later is always
going to fail in the long term.

The biggest problem with Kolab is that it got developed and marketed on the
wrong side of the pond.

Regards,
-- martin

--