[Desktop_architects] Most wanted Application: Email

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Thu Dec 22 02:11:45 PST 2005

Am Mittwoch, 21. Dezember 2005 22:31 schrieb Mike Shaver:

Hi,

> Thunderbird or post-Windows-port Evolution

Well, actually Kontact http://www.kontact.org/ fits very well.

In addition Kontact will soon be available in a commercially supported
configuration on Windows due to a government contract.

Partly the reason for this effort is that OSS gives them more control of what
is actually going on with S/MIME messages. E.g. there was a flaw in
Exchange/OL which sent unencrypted messages between the server and OL when
drafting a S/MIME message...

> The Linux desktop survey didn't make it clear to me what specifically
> was wrong with the current offerings in terms of email, though I'll
> confess that I saw it was about enterprise deployment and started
> skimming.  Clearly (?) there is some critical failing in the current
> Evo/Tbird/Kmail offerings, but I don't think it's anything on your
> current list, because that stuff is pretty much covered.

I looked more closely into the questions in the survey.

Too me it looks like the data got falsly interpretated. Actually enterprise
people acknowledge that email is even more important than web access.

But I cannot find the data which claims a problem with the email clients.

Regards,
-- martin

--
http://www.erfrakon.com/