[Desktop_architects] Xgl controversy

Hubert Figuiere hub at figuiere.net
Thu Dec 22 07:49:33 PST 2005

On 22/12/05 06:31 am, Dan Kegel wrote:
> For those who haven't seen it already:
> a bit of controversy over closed development of Xgl:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/165205/
> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2005/12/wouldnt-be-it-be-nice.html

The LWN article is restricted.

But there is this one too:
   http://vizzzion.org/?blogentry=539

Since Xgl *could* be part of the core desktop architecture, and since these
blogs designate one guilty player, maybe people with insight could explain (I
know they are on the list). Because for me, and probably lot of other people,
it looks like a public shaming that is negative towards the development of a
free desktop architecture.

Shall I remind people how important eye-candy can be, and given how much
investment is being put by the leading actors on the market (see Quartz
Extreme in MacOSX, and see the requirement announced for Windows Vista), how
it is important for us to integrate that *complex* parameter into the
equation.

Hub