[Desktop_architects] Xgl controversey

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 14:42:22 PST 2005

Hi all,

This is basically a me too response to Zacks mail,

I'm still going to do some work on the external tree as

a) Novell aren't working on EGL
b) I'm ignoring Novells contribution until it is contributed. You
can't hack on a promise (something I've attempted to do for 3 months -
I've asked davidr for newer code in Aug, Sept and Oct), lucky enough
the r300 driver took some fixing to get to a place where it'll even
run Xglx...

I'm also worried about proposed changes to things like Mesa will have
to go through the proper channels (Brian) and will take some
discussion (especially new GLX extensions). These sort of
architectural decisions are not something that everyone will go "ah
Novell said it is okay, we'll just put it in the tree", and I would
rather these things are discussed in the open with people who know the
stuff a lot better than I or Novell. I don't see what you can lose
about having these discussions now rather than later, in fact you'll
lose traction later as you'll have to maintain any GLX extensions you
do privately for a long time if you don't go and get some community
approval to have them in Mesa.

Dave.