[Desktop_architects] Deskop configuration management

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Tue Dec 27 10:45:15 PST 2005

> - XDG_DATA_DIRS. this has already caused problems for us with the menu
>spec in that it can't be changed within a session,

Why would you want that?

>can't be changed by
>installing a new desktop (think of multiple desktops on the same
system)

Each desktop startup sequence can adjust it accordingly, if so desired.

>and if often just plain set incorrectly (if at all) by packagers.

Possibly, yes.

>honestly,
>using XDG_DATA_DIRS was a huge mistake. i have the numerous (invalid)
bug
>reports to back that statement up. let's not replicate that mistake to
>other specs.

I think there is some value in consistency here. By using XDG_DATA_DIRS
consistently across specs, the problems associated with it only need to
be fixed once.

Note that a lot of the problems seen with XDG_DATA_DIRS are actuallly
problems of the menu specification. See
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2005-November/007463.html for
the major problems that urgently need to be addressed in the menu
specification.

Cheers,
Waldo