[Desktop_architects] Xandros?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Nov 9 12:52:33 PST 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 02:45:11PM -0600, Robert Williamson wrote:
> hmmm...ok, I can see their points.  However, not to be rude, but why is
> Ubuntu included? It is
> just like Xandros...Debian with add-ons?

It's probably included because it's one of the most popular
distributions, at a guess.  As poor a metric as it is, it has been #1
on the DistroWatch charts for months now; it was topping the 12 month
average chart even before it had been around for 12 months.  It's also
arguably the most seriously innovative of the Debian derivatives, in
terms of what it packages and later contributes (debian-installer
enhancements by the ton, X.Org [now also the modular tree], latest
GNOME releases, et al).

It's pretty difficult to handwave it away as 'another Debian
derivative', and it's also somewhat unique among Debian derivatives as
being a community rather than a corporate distro.

Cheers,
Daniel

ObBias: If you couldn't tell, I'm an Ubuntu developer.