[Desktop_architects] Re: Proposed meeting output - Desktop Architects Meeting

Tom Welch tom at linspire.com
Tue Nov 22 05:30:11 PST 2005

Mike Shaver wrote:

> On 21-Nov-05, at 11:38 PM, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
>>>       * Web content
>>

>>           - incompatible Javascript / "HTML"
>

> Our current data indicates that the amount of web content (not
> intranet content) that requires IE is pretty small, though some
> painful exceptions remain.  If people are getting other indicators
> for desktop use (esp. outside the Enterprise), then I will be
> extremely interested in hearing about that.  Either way, I'm happy to
> spend some time talking about what we're doing to improve that story
> -- and what we're not interested in doing, perhaps more importantly.

Here are a couple for you.  When running on Linspire with Mozilla 1.6 or
Firefox 1.0 you can't browse to the following sites:

www.oldnavy.com
www.gap.com

I'm sure they are using the same engine because the messaging you get is
identical.  However because I am using a browser that they "claim" to
support but still get the error, I wonder if they are sing the "Unix" in
the useragent string and trapping on that.

Tom

--

* <http://www.linspire.com>
  Tom Welch*