[Desktop_architects] Notes from autopackage author

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Nov 24 14:33:11 PST 2005

Everyone knows we need binary compatibility between
the various flavors of desktop linux, and the LSB
is the project that's trying to make that happen.
Mike Hearn didn't want to wait for the LSB, though,
so he went and created "autopackage", which tries
to solve the problem from the other side: figuring
out what apps can do to achieve binary portability
in spite of the fragmentation that's out there now.
As a result, he's probably a good source of knowledge
about what binary portability problems are out there.
I asked him to write up some notes about what he's learned;
the result is at
http://plan99.net/autopackage/Linux_Problems
- Dan

--