[Desktop_architects] Notes from autopackage author

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Sun Nov 27 08:58:49 PST 2005

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 01:09:54PM +0100, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Freitag, 25. November 2005 08:29 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
>
> Hi,
>
> > another have some trouble getting a given rpm installed on their
> > system, due to dependency, glibc, or other compatibility problems. ??Our
> > first response is always, "Have you tried the autopackage?" ??Invariably
> > within 15 minutes we have a happy user.
>
> Did you investigate into KliK?
>
> 	http://klik.atekon.de/

Yup, we looked at that too; it's similar in many ways to autopackage.
There's a klik package for inkscape, but we've focused on the
autopackage version.  I haven't looked at klik enough to know the pros /
cons vs. autopackage, so it'd be interesting to hear a comparison from
someone who's worked with both.

> In short klik allow a simple click on a download link and the application is
> installed on the host system in a rather secure and confined manner.
>
> You may check out Kurt Pfeifle's excellent introduction to Klik "Don't
> Install, Just Copy with klik"
>
> 	http://dot.kde.org/1126867980/

Bryce