[Desktop_architects] DAM-3

John Cherry cherry at osdl.org
Wed Aug 2 09:32:00 PDT 2006

Hi all,

Planning is beginning for the third Desktop Architects Meeting.  This
third meeting of the architects will build on the first two meetings in
Portland and Mainz where topics and focus areas included...

- ISV and developer support (Portland Project, developer portal)
- Open source (and mainlined) drivers (printing, wireless)
- Linux desktop and standards (LSB, packaging/installation, ODF)
- Sound and multimedia
- Coming together as a Linux Desktop Community (including the
  international Linux Desktop Community)

http://groups.osdl.org/workgroups/dtl/desktop_architects/

This mailing list will be used to develop the agenda for DAM-3 with the
intent that DAM-3 be relevant to the desktop development community and
to clarify our role in the open source desktop ecosystem (I hate that
word).

The DAM-3 venue is currently scheduled for Dec 4-5 in Portland.

While we are marching down this path, there have been suggestions for
alternate venues.  Other suggested venues include...

- Vancouver, BC
- Victoria, BC
- Sydney, Australia (companion event to linux.conf.au).

My informal poll of architects at DDC and OLS indicated that North
America was a good central meeting point for Europe and Asia and that
Canada would be preferred over the US.  If you have strong feelings that
a non-Portland venue would be best for this event, please let me know
ASAP.  We will finalize the venue by the end of August (actually getting
a good start on planning for this event!).

Cheers,
John