[Desktop_architects] The experience of an ISV

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Wed Feb 8 13:43:56 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:18:49PM -0800, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> Great feedback.
>
> Most of this seems to be in line with tasks and prioritization on
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/PortlandIntegrationTasks
>
> Can you expand on the use case for "Interface with e-mail client"? Is
> there specific functionality you are looking for beyond "start an e-mail
> composer for this mailto: URL" ?
>
> Can you explain the use cases for the wallpaper and screensaver?

Here's a simple use case.  Inkscape has a "presentation" mode called
inkview, where it goes full screen and allows sort of powerpoint-like
presentation of SVGs.  Unfortunately, if you stay on one slide too long,
the screensaver turns on.  I'd like to have a simple way to delay the
screensaver by 1 hour for as long as the inkview process is loaded.

A trick is that there's actually two things - the WM screensaver, and
the monitor power control.  Obviously, it needs to be possible to delay
both.

For wallpaper, I would absolutely *love* it if there was some simple way
from within Inkscape to do something like File->SetAsWallpaper, to make
whatever's loaded in Inkscape to become the background.  Some WM's
support SVG backgrounds now, but others don't, so it'd also be nice to
be able to query whether it's allowed, and if not, have inkscape render
a PNG and send that instead.

I'm certain a lot of other apps would be able to use both the above
capabilities.  I'd be happy to volunteer inkscape as a guinea pig if
needed. ;-)

Bryce