[Desktop_architects] Desktop linux talk slides

John Cherry cherry at osdl.org
Fri Feb 10 10:46:11 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 09:10 -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm giving talks about Desktop Linux and Wine this weekend.
> A draft of the slides are up at
> http://kegel.com/linux/scale4/  and
> http://kegel.com/wine/scale4/
>
> Comments welcome... there's still time to fix 'em.

For laptops, you mention the following problems,
- Wireless driver mess
- Switch between network interfaces
- Suspend

While suspend is important, the runtime aspect of power management is
also needed.  The ability to leverage these hardware capabilities can
significantly improve the overall efficiency of Linux to lower power
consumption. (i.e. your battery may last 3 hours rather than 1 hour by
throttling the CPU, turning off unused devices, dimming the display,
etc.)

Pat Mochel is addressing the power management issues at the power
management summit on Apr 12-14 in San Jose.  If you are interested in
this summit, contact Pat Mochel (copied on this email).  Topics for the
summit include:

- Embedded - PM in constrained spaces
- Runtime - efficient power consumption
- Policy and interface - PM for various user environments (setting it
  and managing it)
- Infrasturcture - driver and platform infrastructure
- Suspend - what is left to do?

More info on the power management summit is on the Desktop Architects
page:

http://groups.osdl.org/workgroups/dtl/desktop_architects

Sorry, this did not start out as a shameless plug for the power
management summit...it just happened.

John