[Desktop_architects] Desktop linux talk slides

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Feb 10 12:30:46 PST 2006

On 2/10/06, Bastian, Waldo <waldo.bastian at intel.com> wrote:
> Wrt media codecs: Fluendo is offering free (beer) patent-licensed codecs
> for gstreamer. Mostly free as in speech as well, the source for the MP3
> codec is available under the MIT license, but there are some
> restrictions due to the patent license.
> See http://www.fluendo.com/press/releases/PR-2005-05.html and
> http://thomas.apestaart.org/log/?p=333

Thanks for the tip.  That makes two sources for free-as-in-beer licensed codecs!
Looks like it might not be something Ubuntu can ship, though:
http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/01/12/2156206

> Printing: HP aims to offer open source drivers for all (most?) of its
> new printers via hplip, see http://sourceforge.net/projects/hpinkjet

Yes, it looks like they're putting a lot of effort into it.
Nevertheless, the HP deskjet my wife bought last year
doesn't work with FC5 or Ubuntu 05.10, so they have
a ways to go.

> Year of Desktop linux: Based on those signs I have good hopes for 2007
> ;-) There is also an increasing number of sightings of pre-installed
> Linux notebooks.

Yay!
- Dan