[Desktop_architects] Desktop linux talk slides

Greg Wright gwright at real.com
Fri Feb 10 12:55:50 PST 2006

Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> Wrt media codecs: Fluendo is offering free (beer) patent-licensed codecs
> for gstreamer. Mostly free as in speech as well, the source for the MP3
> codec is available under the MIT license, but there are some
> restrictions due to the patent license.
> See http://www.fluendo.com/press/releases/PR-2005-05.html and
> http://thomas.apestaart.org/log/?p=333

You mention, Dan, that "RealPlayer" comes with license to play
mpeg". I would just clear that up a bit. There is no need, as I
understand it, to have a RealPlayer installed to get that. All of
the core components (media engine, codecs, plugins, etc) are in
the open source Helix Community
(https://helixcommunity.org). There are many other codecs there
as well besides MPEG.  Novell built a Banshee engine using
Helix. You might remember them talking about it at the last LDA
meeting in Portland.

Although I don't know how the licensing is going to go, we are
currently adding Window's Media support into Helix as well as
part of the new platform:

It may require a player download to use, but we will see. At
least it will be cross platform (minus Window's DRM).

(Disclaimer, I work for Real doing Helix)