[Desktop_architects] Desktop linux talk slides

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Fri Feb 10 14:09:50 PST 2006

>Bastian, Waldo wrote:
>> Wrt media codecs: Fluendo is offering free (beer) patent-licensed
codecs
>> for gstreamer. Mostly free as in speech as well, the source for the
MP3
>> codec is available under the MIT license, but there are some
>> restrictions due to the patent license.
>> See http://www.fluendo.com/press/releases/PR-2005-05.html and
>> http://thomas.apestaart.org/log/?p=333
>
>You mention, Dan, that "RealPlayer" comes with license to play
>mpeg". I would just clear that up a bit. There is no need, as I
>understand it, to have a RealPlayer installed to get that. All of
>the core components (media engine, codecs, plugins, etc) are in
>the open source Helix Community
>(https://helixcommunity.org).

The OpenSUSE people claim on http://en.opensuse.org/Restricted_Formats
that they can not ship the MP3 codecs for patent reasons but that Novell
has a contract that allows it to support MP3 through RealPlayer. So I
don't get the impression that the open source codecs that the Helix
Community distributes include a patent-license.

Cheers,
Waldo