[Desktop_architects] The experience of an ISV

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Tue Feb 14 11:50:06 PST 2006

Xtst is a local only "solution".  As such, it doesn't help LTSP.

The fundamental issue is a desktop communications issue: knowing that at
least one application is currently active that has good reason to
believe the screen saver should be suppressed. Examples: video player
(at least when full screen), presentation program (when full screen).

I claim this is outside the scope of the X protocol (explicitly), though
it can be solved by conventions implemented on top of X.

There are (at least) two ways to solve this problem, that can/should be
discussed on the xdg list:
   o use of a X property somewhere to communicate with a session
management daemon (or window manager) of this desire.
   o use of an out of band mechanism like DBUS.

Either is satisfactory from my perspective.  Note that a proper solution
using DBUS will beg cross system issues (and making dbus secure across
the network); this ought to be done in any case (I know some work was
done to add security to dbus in the past; I don't know its current
status).  Folks like LTSP (and others) really care about running over
the network, and this should be possible.
			- Jim