[Desktop_architects] The experience of an ISV

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Feb 14 12:52:47 PST 2006

Jim Gettys wrote:
> Wel, the history is like this:
>
> XSetScreenSaver and friends are original to the X11 core protocol, and
> have no support for user space screen savers at all.  The screen saver
> extension "MIT-SCREEN-SAVER" to do so came along a few years later.  It
> might have been nice if it made explicit provision for this case, but it
> didn't, I don't believe.

Ah, yes, clear out the cob webs - I used the MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
extension for this, although it still looks like XSetScreenSaver is
responsible for telling the X server when to activate the screen
saver, and in turn send the events to the registered screen saver.

It has been so long since I did a screen saver, I don't remember all
of the in's and out's, but I *do* remember using "xset s off" to
disable the screen saver...  Anyways, none of that works on a current
Linux system... :(