[Desktop_architects] klik+autopackage: More info about the example packages (was: Notes from autopackage author)

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Jan 2 17:50:11 PST 2006

On Monday 02 January 2006 23:58, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 07:16:44AM +0000, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> > klik://xara-latest
> >   You may have heard of this formerly closed source producing company,
> >   which provides a vector drawing program for Windows. Well, now they
> >   are trying their luck with open sourcing their flagship product Xara
> >   Xtreme, and seeking the cooperation of the Inkscape folks. This klik
> >   package uses a precompiled binary from the vendor (in *.bz2 shape)
> >   and converts it into xara-latest.cmg. (Some Xara demo/sample files are
> >   also included with the klik package; you can open them by navigating
> >   to the somewhat unusual location /tmp/app/[number]/bin/Designs/ --
> >   Don't ask!)
>
> Note this is a technology preview rather than the full Xara product.

Yes. And as such is has not yet the real editing enabled. It is only a
viewer AFAICS.

> The full product release will include the source code afaik.
>
> > klik://inkscape-latest
> >   Bryce will love that! Main input file is a Debian Sarge package from
> >   http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~wolfi/inkscape/sarge/ . Unforch,
> >   this is not really "latest" -- the guy who builds the binaries does
> >   not update tooooo often.
> >   So, Bryce, if you can point me to a place on the net where there are
> >   weekly or nightly updated .debs (or .rpms/.tgzs) of Inkscape builds
> >   I'll modifiy the klik recipe with great pleasure to use these and
> >   provide more current Inkscape goodness to the world!   ;-)
>
> That'd be in the 'Development Versions' section of this page:
>
>     http://inkscape.org/download.php
>
> We no longer provide nightly RPMs (apparently people who want bleeding
> edge stuff are using non-RPM distros), but there's a nightly autopackage
> and of course the tarballs are there too.

We'll try and see if we can make the .package format a fully supported
input format for the klik *-to-cmg conversion process.

In any case, by next weekend we should see again an up-to-date
klik://inkscape-latest working that uses your nightly builds.

> Bryce

Cheers,
Kurt