What is your answer to solve the top inhibitor for the Linuxdesktop adoption? (was Re: [Desktop_architects] Most wantedApplication: Email)

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Tue Jan 3 17:11:27 PST 2006

>Yes, the concensus was that it would be difficult to host a developer
>resource like this with any of the Linux distributions and/or desktop
>organizations.  However, the distros and desktop organizations have the
>content that is needed to make the portal meaningful.

I think the solution to that dilemma is agregation. I can imagine OSDL
defining a set of "how-to-questions", upstream technology providers
(e.g. gnome, kde and trolltech) providing an answer to those questions
based on the use of their technologies, and distributions wanting to
ammend some of those answers to take into account distribution
specifics. What is needed then is a web-infrastructure to shuffle that
information around and allow the various parties to present those bits
that are relevant to their audience as an integral part of their own
websites without the need to actuallly duplicate creating that
information.

Think of it as the convergence of wikipedia+docbook+RSS+tagging.

You would want to be able to tag information as "only relevant to Gtk+"
or "only relevant to KDE 3.1 or older" (and differentiate between
"relevant to applications based on KDE 3.1 libraries" and "relevant to
applications running under a KDE 3.1 desktop")

Cheers,
Waldo