What is your answer to solve the top inhibitor for the Linuxdesktop adoption? (was Re: [Desktop_architects] Most wantedApplication: Email)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 3 20:13:57 PST 2006

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 20:56, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Hmm, do we have a feasible source for the monetary investment for this?
> I'm guessing that something on the order of several million would be
> required?

indeed...

<crazy thought process alert>

given that this is really a support service and support services are supposed
to be one of the "bread 'n butter" models of open source driven
business ......... i bet there's a business model in there somewhere ;) i
don't know if attempting to privatize it is really what we want, though.

> Barring that, is there any feasible bottom-up way of achieving it?  I've
> been impressed with the documentation efforts around specific distros
> such as gentoo.

sys admin, configuration and user-level tasks are within the realm of
experienced users and sys admins. developer documentation tends to be within
the realm of developers and tech writers who specialize in the domain. there
are an order of magnitude or three more in the "experienced users and sys
admin" category than there are in the "developers and tech writers" category.

if it's a numbers game, i imagine this is why gentoo community documentation
and the LTDP works so well compared to what we have with developer docu.

but that's really just an educated guess, nothing more.

--
Aaron J. Seigo