What is your answer to solve the top inhibitor for the Linuxdesktop adoption? (was Re: [Desktop_architects] Most wantedApplication: Email)

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Tue Jan 3 23:49:43 PST 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 12:00:11AM -0500, Mike Shaver wrote:
> ... it seems to me that nobody has
> actually come out and said why we want a great doc portal.  If it's I
> had to explain it to somebody, it'd probably be "to get more ISVs to
> target Linux" or even "to get more ISV software on Linux", which is
> why I'm saying the things you read above.

This describes my feelings too, although I recall it gained a pretty
quick concensus at the meeting, so assume that there *is* a need here,
it just needs to be defined.

But I also know it's a LOT of work to put one of these things together,
especially up front before there's much in there.  You'd need either a
dozen or so people working at it full time for a year or two, or an
order of magnitude more extremely passionate people working voluntarily
in order to get it up off the ground and to a sustainable level.  So I
think this really emphasizes that the need has to be clearly defined,
and be something that really, really excites one of two groups of
people:

   a) Crazy, obsessive technical writers who will feel that by
      dedicating a fairly large chunk of their life to it, that it'll
      make the world a better place.

   b) Crazy, rich CEOs and CTOs who will feel that by dedicating a lot
      of their budget to it, that it'll make their companies more
      successful.

There's probably a few other ways to do it, but these two are the best
proven models.  ;-)

Bryce