[Desktop_architects] Applications and pre-installed machines

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Wed Jan 18 14:22:26 PST 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:49:26AM -0800, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> >   Of course once the movement starts to happen then
> >the ISV's will move because they see a change in
> >the relative % of MSS for the different desktops. But
> >that is an after they see a trend for a few quarters or
> >even years.
>
> Sure, but you don't get a competitive advantage by moving along with the
> curve, you need to move ahead of it for that. Linux creates an
> opportunity for an ISV to do that.
>
> It seems to me that a company like Xara understood the opportunity here,
> maybe Bryce can comment on what motivated them to port to Linux.

Well, in 2005 you had Adobe acquiring Macromedia, and then Microsoft
announcing their plans to enter the graphics application market with a
new product.  So for someone in the #3/#4 slot in the market, that gives
you a motivation to look for a new edge and unfilled niches.

Also, the successes we had with building a userbase around Inkscape
played a role in their decision.  I think Inkscape helped prove that
there is a market for high quality graphics software on Linux, as well
as demonstrating the FOSS model to be worth consideration.

Beyond that, I think Xara's CEO just plain likes the ideals of Linux and
open source, so there was strong support from the top to give it a shot,
so long as they can continue paying salaries.  :-)

Bryce