[Desktop_architects] Applications and pre-installed machines

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Thu Jan 26 12:42:12 PST 2006

"http://wyoguide.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/OSDL_survey_for_ISVs".
>> It might be a good idea to get some answers before the next DAM.
>
>Good idea.  And this is a great starting point for the next OSDL
survey.
>BTW, I just saw some results from a Novell survey that showed the top
>apps that are needed for the desktop.  The results did not show email
>clients or browsers, so these are probably "good enough".  Rather, they
>listed...
>
>1. Quickbooks
>2. Autocad
>3. Photoshop
>4. Itunes
>5. Dreamweaver
>6. Visio
>7. Lotus Notes
>8. Quicken
>9. Macromedia Studio
>10. Act!
>
>http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/16798.html
>
>Please just use this as information and lets not fuel the discussion
>about market share and major vs minor ISV targets.  We've probably
>beaten that to death.
>
>On a related note, is anyone aware of a place where users could go to
>find open source alternatives to these applications?  I'm not talking
>about googling for projects or scanning the open source foundries, but
>place where a user could just find a Quickbooks or Autocad replacement?

Not exactly open source, but
http://www.thekompany.com/products/index.php3 provides cross platform
alternatives to some of the applications listed above.

They even offer an alternative to iTunes :-)
http://www.thekompany.com/press_media/full.php3?Id=294

Unfortunately I couldn't find recent independent reviews of these
applications.

Waldo Bastian
Linux Client Architect - Channel Products Software Group
Intel Corporation - http://www.intel.com/go/linux