[Desktop_architects] Applications and pre-installed machines

Segedunum segedunum at actuaria.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 11:50:51 PST 2006

On Friday 27 January 2006 17:36, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Don't underestimate the difficulty of porting non-cross-platform apps.

Most applications are not cross-platform, and believe it or not,
cross-platform applications don't matter as much as people think. If the
market is there then ISVs will pull their fingers out and maintain a Linux
port no matter how long it takes - it's that simple. Google appear to be
doing that, but they're not really an ISV in the usual sense. They'll be
distributing a freely available app to get people coming to their sites
and using their services, and Linux was a distant third in the pecking
order.

I'm curious as to why people think cross-platform applications matter
within the context of promoting desktop Linux in general. Cross-platform
development is something the ISV decides to do, and no one else. Either
you try and encourage existing ISVs to convert to using cross-platform
development tools so they can port to Linux (a very vain hope), or for
those writing specifically for the Linux desktop you open up the
possibility of people going right back to Windows. Desktop Linux has
either got something useful Windows hasn't got for it to be meaningful, or
it hasn't. That black and white thinking might not be liked, but there it
is.

I'm also very curious as to why people think that running open source
applications like K3B on Windows matters, which I find even more bizarre.
If people want to run these applications on Windows then that means
Windows is just plain better, and they aren't going to move. You are also
developing free promotional applications for Microsoft, with your own free
time and effort, to effectively keep people on Windows.

David