[Desktop_architects] [dtl_s_t_m] Adding some background information...

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Sun Jun 11 11:34:52 PDT 2006

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 08:42:46PM +0900, Chang-Won Ahn (ETRI) wrote:
> Hi, guys,
>
> I want to add some background informtion of OSS activities in Asia,
> especially, in CJK (China, Japan, Korea).
>
> I hope this debate to be a good chance to find a clue to motivate asian
> developers
> to actively participate OSS community.

Hi Chang-Won,

Thanks for giving this update on the sub-working group activities.  In
these activities, have you discussed including open source developers
in your region that might not otherwise be involved in dtl?

When DTL here in the US first started, we also were organized in a "top
down" working group style, however I have noticed that DTL has become
much, much richer and more successful now that it takes a community
approach.  The Desktop Architect's Meeting was a noteworthy transition
point - DTL organized the meeting, but enabled the other (non-DTL)
participants to take the lead in discussions and subsequent actions.
Some of the participants worked for companies involved in OSS, but many
were simply there because they were passionate about what they worked
on.  DTL succeeded in this meeting because it brought very smart people
from the community together, with people who could explain what the
problems were from their perspective.  The results of this meeting, such
as the Portland Project and the various summits, have brought plans and
solutions to many key issues.

So to your question about how to motivate more asian developers to
participate, I wonder if a similar approach would give similar benefits.
For example, locate some existing open source developers working in your
region and invite them to come together to discuss common issues - such
as better collaboration with developers in other regions.  Then they
could help identify ideas for solving those issues, and perhaps
establish a plan for fixing them.  I would love to hear if you think an
approach like the one we took, could work as well for solving this
different problem?

Bryce