[Desktop_architects] [dtl_s_t_m] Adding some background information...

Tim Bray Tim.Bray at Sun.COM
Wed Jun 14 09:55:34 PDT 2006

> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>>
>> With
>> few exceptions, most open source developers are really just users
>> that
>> got very passionate and curious.  ;-)

I *really* don't think so.  Most OSS developers are people who like
computers and like programming computers and like sharing the
results.  Most *users* don't actually like computers, they just want
to get things done.

Having said that, Linus is right that we do a crappy job of getting
input from them.  Mind you, so do old-fashioned closed-source
developers.  But bear in mind that while end-users are really good at
spotting irritants ("I plugged the projector into the VGA.  It didn't
work.") they are bad at coming up with new ideas.  End users didn't
invent mice, windows, hyperlinks, alt-tab, or "undo".

  -Tim