[Desktop_architects] [dtl_s_t_m] Adding some background information...

Calum Benson Calum.Benson at Sun.COM
Wed Jun 14 12:14:33 PDT 2006

On 14 Jun 2006, at 19:31, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> The approach we've taken is to encourage users with ideas, to make
> sure
> they're recorded in the RFE tracker (i.e., look for a similar idea
> already filed, and add to that, or create a new ticket if its a new
> idea.)  This gets the feedback collected, but more importantly it
> keeps
> the mailing lists clear of threads constantly re-proposing the same
> ideas.  ;-)

I'm sure that works well up to a point; the hard part with any
feedback collection scheme is figuring out how much you didn't get
because the user couldn't figure out what to do, or considered it to
be too much effort.

I know I usually heave a heavy sigh at the "looking for duplicates"
stage every time I file a bug; if I wasn't lucky enough to be getting
paid for the time it takes to do it I have to admit I'd probably
think twice about bothering.  (I'd probably still file the bug and
let somebody else worry about finding the duplicates though; despite
most projects' efforts to simplify the process, many others will
probably just look at the relative complexity of filing a bug and
hope the next update fixed the problem instead...)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum.benson at sun.com            Java Desktop System Team