[Desktop_architects] Desktop Meeting in Japan, Jun. 1

greg_kelleher at us.ibm.com greg_kelleher at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 27 07:56:06 PDT 2006

One idea :   We could create profile articles on these developers and
share them with the press to help make their role as contributors highly
visible to the Asia Pacific community

Greg Kelleher
IBM Corporate Linux & Open Source
Senior Program Manager, WW Linux Client Strategy and Market Development
greg_kelleher at us.ibm.com
Office: 508-393-6459,   IBM Tie Line  769-9528
Linux at IBM :  http://www.ibm.com/linux

"Dan Kegel" <dank at kegel.com>
Sent by: desktop_architects-bounces at lists.osdl.org
06/27/2006 10:18 AM

"Chang-Won Ahn (ETRI)" <ahn at etri.re.kr>
cc
desktop_architects at lists.osdl.org
Subject
Re: [Desktop_architects] Desktop Meeting in Japan, Jun. 1

On 6/11/06, Chang-Won Ahn (ETRI) <ahn at etri.re.kr> wrote:
> But the important thing is that CJK don't want to be a free rider any
more.
> I am sure that you should hear much more voices from asia
> back to the Open Community in the near future.

The Wine Project is happy to report that somebody in China
recently started contributing a steady flow of very useful
bug fixes.  (I guess that makes him a one-in-a-billion kinda guy!)

Also, gcc has a few great Asian contributors,
in particular, the maintainer for the sh-4 embedded processors.

Their English is quite good, which seems to support the "language barrier"
theory of why there have been few Asian contributions to date.
- Dan