[Desktop_architects] Summits at Desktop Developers Conferencein Ottawa

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Fri Mar 3 15:24:52 PST 2006

On Friday 03 March 2006 23:22, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> The point is that there should be a NETWM-like spec for the 3D
> aspects then and in order to get that of the ground you will need

I think that's getting largely offtopic for this list and just to be
clear I'm by no means against any kind of meeting. I just don't think
it will be productive in terms of "new facts" coming out of them.

And finally: no, no, no :) No spec's for effects. The super cool effect
that someone just came up with is usually cool for about 5 minutes, and
even if it's well done in terms of usability people get bored with it
(after, lets push it, two years). Deprecating part of a spec to change
an effect is a bad idea.

Brad Hughes and I were talking about it extensively when writing a
prototype wm/cm during summer. If we want more effects we only define
more states a window can be in and composition manager decides how to
represent the given state. So there's absolutely no mention of 3D and
any kind of effects in the spec.
We thought about submitting some of those ideas, but then we realized
that what we'd like to see even more are drawers and then we realized
that what we need even more is well accelerated render... We are fixing
each of those issues and quite frankly it looks like Summer would be
the right time to approach extending the window manager specs and
figure out whether cm/wm should be one process or stay separate and
communicate via some other means. So a session on "window management
for next generation desktops" could prove to be very useful. (but $199
for ddc? ouch :) )

Zack

--
If it is not on fire, it is a software problem.