[Desktop_architects] Tools to help enforce ABI stability

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Mar 15 08:13:12 PST 2006

What tools exist out there to enforce ABI stability?
Gnome, KDE, and LSB all seem to have tools that
compare a shared library to a list of expected exports.
That's great for disciplined projects.

It might also be handy to have a tool that can be used
universally, i.e. without a priori knowledge of the ABI,
by comparing old and new shared libraries and complaining
if it thinks their ABI has changed.  It's not clear if
this would be useful, but we're trying it; we have a script that
runs dwarfdump -i on shared libraries compiled for debugging.
It's slow, but if it turns out to be useful, we might reimplement
it in C.  Has anybody else tried this kind of thing?
- Dan