[Desktop_architects] Xara now has released "Xara LX" source

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sun Mar 19 17:15:12 PST 2006

Hi,

Xara has now released the GPL'd "Xara LX" sources. I've not yet seen
the news hit any of the known web sites; but their website and a
posting into one of their public forums makes it official to me.

I assume the Inkscape folks on this list did already know in advance,
but the rest of us are glad to learn about it now  :-)

Some more details are in my blog at

   http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1872

Oh, and those of you who want a really quick testdrive of Xara (without
having to actually install pre-compiled Xara binaries into the heart of
your $linux system), I've updated a  klik://xara-latest  recipe (should
work on all major distros, and some of the more exotic ones too). More
info on klik is here:

   FAQ: http://klik.atekon.de/wiki/index.php/User%27s_FAQ
  Wiki: http://xara-latest.klik.atekon.de/wiki/index.php/Wiki_page_for_xara_klik

Xara is an interesting example, as they are one of the first Windows-
only companies that is porting a hi-profile software to the Linux
desktop environment *as* *well* *as* putting it under the GPL license
at the same time.

Cheers,
Kurt