[Desktop_architects] DAM-II: Agenda proposal & request for feedback

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Tue Mar 28 12:43:54 PST 2006

OSDL DTL has planned the second desktop architects meeting for May 8-9,
in Frankfurt, Germany. (It was originally planned for Cannes, but this
way it will be easier to combine with LinuxTag) Details and invitations
will follow later.

Below you will find the list of topics we would like to propose for this
meeting. We would like to hear your feedback on the proposed topics,
additional topics to consider as well as specific projects or
organisations that you think would be relevant to invite for these
topics.

In addition we would like to hear suggestions for the format of the
meeting, Should there be presentations? Work sessions? Different tracks?
What kind of preparation material would you consider useful?

Looking forward to your feedback.

Waldo Bastian
Linux Client Architect - Channel Platform Solutions Group
Intel Corporation - http://www.intel.com/go/linux
OSDL DTL Tech Board Chairman

---

Proposed topics for meeting:

* Report outs from events & activities since previous DAM
   - Wireless summit
   - Powermanagement summit
   - Printing summits
   - Portland project
   - LSB Desktop
   - OSDL Developer portal
   - OSDL Open Driver site

* ISV & Developer support discussion topics:
   - Portland
   - OSDL Developer portal
   - Tools to help enforce ABI stability
   - Packaging tools
   - Low tech: Visual scripting tools for the desktop

* Linux Desktop & Standards, kickoff discussion: There are several
standardisation efforts underway with great importance for the Linux
Desktop such as LSB Desktop, FreeDesktop/Portland and OpenDocument. In
which areas are we missing good standards? Are existing calendaring
standards up to their job?

* Open Source Drivers, kickoff discussion: At the last DAM, Printing and
Wireless scored high on everyones attention list for the desktop, which
other specific driver areas are in need of more attention?

* Sound & Multimedia, kickoff discussion: Multimedia is still perceived
as an area where Linux is weak: what is the current status of multimedia
support in Linux distributions? What infrastructure can application
developers rely on, and what is still missing? Codecs & patents: OSS and
legal aspects.

---