[Desktop_architects] LinuxTag 2006 -- What visitors/users told about Linux on the Desktop

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sun May 7 07:41:24 PDT 2006

> >  > - Installation of 3rd-party software too complicated (Java, Acrobat,> >  >   drivers)> >> > Agreed!>> Apparently SUN wants this to improve as well:> http://news.com.com/Sun+to+make+Java+more+Linux-friendly/2100-7344_3-6068852.html
This is a huge area and touches base with many other topics: stableapis, dependency handling, package formats etc. It's not just Java,Acrobat, drivers it's any program that isn't in a distributionsrepositories: that includes software which is Free but out of date orthat has been modified in some detrimental manner as it was packaged.
At any rate this is not news to anybody here I would imagine ....