[Desktop_architects] DAM-2 - statements/outcomes

John Cherry cherry at osdl.org
Wed May 10 23:09:43 PDT 2006

Thanks to all those that attended the DAM-2 meeting in Mainz.  Great to
see all of you in a "variety" of venues.  Our meeting in the rathaus
sure improved the class of this group.  I've got pictures.

Below are the speaking points that we concluded with at the meetings.
We didn't have much time to refine these statements, so please take a
pass at them so that we can make the necessary refinements.

I have not received the text for the international communities
statements yet, but I have identified the basic areas we would like to
address.  Khairil, exact wording out of the breakout group would be
appreciated.

Cheers,
John Cherry
OSDL DTL

Portland Project
================
Direction check: broad support for Portland's goals

Call for action:
  - Participate for testing on existing Linux distributions / use
    xdg-utils from your application and report back bugs.
  - Provide feedback on planned tasks / more details on existing tasks
  - Help out: not difficult, mostly bash

1.0 release of xdg-utils planned for July; first beta later this month

Standards/Packaging/Installation
================================
Deliver packaging requirements to LSB working group for development
of package creation tool.

Establish an ISV documentation portal to provide guidelines for ISVs
to develop applications.

Audio/Multimedia
================
Develop and publicize open process to:
  - Create the sound and video equivalent of the LSB. A standardized
    version of a media API from an application point of view, based on
    a comprehensive identification of use cases, and on a
    forward-looking view of the potential of current technology - such
    as UPNP and Hidefinition streams.

Set up AMM/DLP portal/list, building an international base of
interested developers, architects and others. To be available by May
24.
Announcement to follow.

Organize face-to-face working meetings to encourage active
participation
in the process. Developers and projects are encouraged to participate
in defining a common environment for future individual and project work.

On-line discussion and open f2f meetings targeting specific technical
requirements and solutions, such as: audio and video playback, drm and
security, mixing, multi-cast, customer-specific requirements, etc.
  - DDC ( Ottawa ~ July 20 ) : North American East Coast
  - LWE ( San Francisco - ~ August 14 )
  - Others TBD

3 Day full working meeting, Europe. October, 2006. Site & date TBD

International Communities
Khairil Yusof to send out text for these speaking points.  As I
recall, the speaking points were around education, developer
integration, community exposure, internationalization/localization,
and cultural/language hurdles.

HW (what works; what doesn't)