[Desktop_architects] "GIMP's next-generation imaging core demonstrated"

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Mon Oct 16 12:44:49 PDT 2006

Ovind Kolas (aka pippin) gave a demo of The GIMP's upcoming new core
image processing library, GEGL, at the Piksel 06 festival in Norway.

More info about GEGL is here:

    http://pippin.gimp.org/gegl/

I've been helping pippin by running gegl in OSDL's test harness
(alongside our cairo testing); you can see the results via the 'tests'
link on the above URL.  This testing has uncovered and led to solution
of a number of bugs, and pippin is now working on making use of the
resources for doing performance tracking.

Gegl is not yet as mature as Cairo, but could be equally as important to
making the Linux desktop graphically rich.  Since Gegl is LGPL'd, it is
also potentially of interest for ISV's and open source projects who may
wish to provide advanced photo manipulation type functionality in their
applications.  I'm hoping through our testing, we can assist in
accelerating Gegl's maturity, stability, and performance.

Bryce