[Desktop_architects] Drivers -- below the OS?

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Fri Aug 3 19:15:30 PDT 2007

<quote who="Miller, Marc">

> If driver management becomes the role of the hypervisor or even of the
> firmware and there is no "host" operating system to speak of, will Linux
> drivers still matter?

The Linux folks have very deftly turned Linux into the hypervisor [1], so
however this pans out, you'll be stuck solving the "Linux driver problem"
[2] whichever way you turn. :-)

- Jeff

[1] A remarkable jujitsu move! Dodges the Xen bullet and keeps Linux in the
    "very important project" list all at once! Who'da thought we'd refer to
    something as large as Linux as a hypervisor...?

[2] Which is purely a matter of perception vs. supplier stupidity. All the
    sensible suppliers have realised that Linux is a vastly more interesting
    vector for selling interesting new hardware anyway. Hi, Intel!

--
Open Source in Mobile 2007: Madrid, Spain     http://www.osimconference.com/

        Web development with PHP is like injecting pure rust with a
                    high-pressure hose. For pain relief.