[Desktop_architects] Linux Audio Stack

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Aug 14 13:02:39 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 11:42 -0700, John Cherry wrote:
> Based on our discussions at the Collaboration Summit (and a slide from
> Donya), I constructed a little diagram to illustrate the Linux audio
> stack.  It may not be completely refined yet, but it should give us a
> common way to reference the layers in the Linux audio stack and to
> discuss standardization points in the stack.
>
> https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Audio_Stack

from the "too busy to even think dept" ....

a couple of fixes/refinements...

the diagram should show FFADO/Freebob (Firewire audio) as a similar
2-layer entity to OSS. arguably it should show it being dependent on the
kernel ieee1394 drivers too.

aRts has been declared dead by its founder/chief developers.

not sure what NMM is, but if its not the same as KDE's "Phonon", you'd
better put Phonon in at the multimedia framework layer. Unless in the
time since I stopped following it, KDE has declared that dead too and
decided to embrace the G in GStreamer.

several entities in the "sound server" layer really span the framework
layer as well. JACK in particular dictates a particular style of
application design, and although backends to it exist inside GStreamer,
its primary purpose is to act as a framework for all pro-audio/music
apps, not just as a soundserver. similarly, PulseAudio could be
considered as spanning both layers - it doesn't inherently provide any
services at all, since in many common cases its nothing but a wrapper
API around existing services (JACK, ALSA etc).

and now, back to the grindstone from whence i came.

--p