[Desktop_amm] Re: [Desktop_architects] Linux Audio Stack

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Aug 14 16:21:19 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 14 August 2007, John Cherry wrote:
> > aRts has been declared dead by its founder/chief developers.
>
> Removed aRts unless I hear objections.

i don't think you'll hear any =)

> > not sure what NMM is, but if its not the same as KDE's "Phonon", you'd
> > better put Phonon in at the multimedia framework layer. Unless in the
> > time since I stopped following it, KDE has declared that dead too and
> > decided to embrace the G in GStreamer.
>
> Phonon is an application API, not really multimedia framework.  I wedged
> this between the application layer and the multimedia framework layer.
> Is Phonon being used outside of the KDE media applications?

seeing as there hasn't been an official stable release of it, no =) however,
Trolltech clients have been showing a good amount of interest in it (and
Trolltech has been helping out with API and general design of Phonon recently
in response) so it is more than reasonable to expect at least some Qt apps to
be using it in future. Phonon itself has no KDE deps, only deps on Qt.

> NMM is Networke-Integrated Multimedia Middleware
> (http://www.networkmultimedia.org/index.html).  I'm not exactly sure
> what it does, but there is an NMM backend for phonon.  :)

yes but at this point it's a relatively dead one. it needs work. after the
first blush of rushing to put something together to be able to point to
phonon support, it's sat there without much effort going into it and has thus
been moved to playground due to it's pre-alpha state.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se