[Lf_desktop] Re: [Desktop_architects] OOXML - national bodies voting

John Walicki walicki at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 27 11:00:58 PDT 2007

lf_desktop-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org wrote on 08/27/2007 11:31:59
AM:

> The quotes page is now a public wiki...although nobody knows about it
> yet.
>
> https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Architects_on_OOXML
>
> I'll continue to update the page as quotes come in.  This is yet another
> chance for you to receive fame, glory, and a chance to be heard.
>
> Cheers,
> John

John - Here is the IBM quote.

IBM is a strong supporter of open standards because they allow for fair
competition among market players based on the creation and the
implementation of the standards and do not allow one party to control the
standard and therefore the marketplace.    The ODF standard can be
implemented and used by anyone on any platform, at any time, and no
license or fee is required. This provides consumers with complete control
and ownership of their documents, forever. ODF is truly open with
contributions from dozens of companies. Changes to ODF will likewise be
determined by the community. ODF provides a format that will be available
to all without any specific company or companies controlling its fate or
future.

We are very concerned about many aspects of the ooXML specification that
is currently under ballot in ISO/IEC JTC1 including many technical issues
concerning the quality of the specification.

- It is unclear whether all vendors will be able to implement a fully
compliant version of the ooXML specification. The specification references
other specifications which are not publicly available and for which the
Intellectual Property Rights are unknown.
- The ooXML specification conflicts with many other International
Standards (Language Codes, Paper Sizes, Colour codes, etc.) by
implementing its own specific codes.
- The ooXML specification defines capabilities (e.g. Mathematical
Formulas, Vector Graphics) instead of simply referring to W3C
specifications, which are internationally accepted and widely used.
- The ooXML specifications rely on Windows specific capabilities. Document
exchange with other operating systems is not guaranteed. An International
Standard should be technology neutral.

John Walicki, IBM Open Client Architect