[Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME

Segedunum segedunum at f2s.com
Thu Feb 15 16:52:10 PST 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 10:49, Christian F.K. Schaller wrote:
> Maybe you should actually try using GNOME for a Month or so instead of
> keep repeating your often wrong assumptions?

Well, I've never seen any real evidence that what he's pointed out is actually
wrong. There's just an awful lot of posturing over what is quite clearly a
really raw nerve.

> But there are many more such add-ons available and of course a lot of
> things a power user can tweak using gconf-editor.

Well, that's pretty much Linus' point really. There is *no such thing* as a
power user. There is a user of your software, of which there are different
varying kinds who may use different functionality at different times, and
that's it. You can't just pigeon-hole them and say "Ahhh, well that would
just confuse our 'normal' users" or "If you're a power user install this".

For example, bringing back up the subject of the print dialogue (keep it
relevant), there is an assumption made that an 'ordinary' user would not want
any kind of functionality within their print dialogue apart from printing it
out basically. However, those of us who have experienced printing in any
reasonably large (or small) organisation know that things (and life!) just
don't work like that. Users, at some point, want access to the functions of
their printer such as duplexing, they want to print out a handful of copies,
they want to use economy printing (usually because of some management memo
about cartridge spending), administrators want scheduling options etc. etc.
etc. It's when these things are made difficult, or cannot be done, that
serious questions are asked (and the word usability becomes a joke). In order
for those functions to be performed, system administrators need to be able to
quickly and easily set them and help desk people need to be able to walk
through users on how to get what they want done. Apparently, system
administrators and help desk people don't exist as users in a Gnome world -
which is probably a *really* bad idea when trying to get a desktop accepted
in an organisation ;-). As someone who's tried to get desktop Linux into
local SMEs in a rational manner (nothing too fancy) that's my experience.

Users should be able to use software that presents them with the ability to
get an awful lot of what they want done, most of the time, quickly and
without fuss. Beyond that, it should then grow with them as they feel the
need to use more features that become useful to them, and allow them to
configure the environment to themselves and their line of work. The latter
part is where the *real* usability work is done - and it's hard. You give me
the name of any decent usability book and I will give you the chapter, page
number and verse where it describes exactly that.

Now, if the reason for not doing things was "We just haven't got around to
that yet", "We know people should be able to do that, but we're trying to
organise it into something usable" or "We haven't got the developer manpower
or time" then that's fine. Those are real issues relevant to any software
project, open source or not. We've all been there. However, those are not the
reasons that are used when functionality is missed within Gnome - and that's
really sad for everyone.

> If you are up for a challenge why don't you use GNOME for a Month then
> come and do a talk about your experience at this years GUADEC in
> England? Could maybe be a good way to start a constructive dialog
> instead of this useless mudslinging?

Well, would it actually do any good? The same issues would come up, the same
things would be pointed out, there'd be a nice 1000+ comment Slashdot
article, people would say that Linus is a crazed lunatic and nothing would
happen.

This actually has been a constructive dialogue, albeit with Linus being
typically blunt and giving a straightforward 'solution' and the message
getting lost in hysteria. It's just that it's a really raw and exposed nerve
for some people because usability is actually a cover for other, more
fundamental, problems. Gnome simply has to re-evaluate what usability
actually means to be a relevant desktop for business and organisational use,
if indeed it really believes in it.

Alas, such issues have got lost in buzzphrases such as "Just Works"
or "10x10".

Cheers,

David