[Desktop_architects] Desktop_architects Digest, Vol 16, Issue 8

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at linux-foundation.org
Wed Feb 21 13:47:19 PST 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:38:34 +0200
"Constantinos P. Spiliakos" <c.spiliakos at gmail.com> wrote:

> desktop_architects-request at lists.osdl.org wrote:
> > I think Gnome people have this very strange dichotomy:
> >  - "We have tons of config options.." (it's true, sometimes, just not
> >    where I cared)
> >  - "..but we hide them, because only experts should use them"
> >
> > and then they think that just because you're an expert in one thing, it
> > means that you should know *Gnome* intimately.
> >
> I will personally agree with Linus on this one.  Being a user of KDE and
> Gnome (with metacity and with beryl on various machines), the efficiency
> of KDE to people who migrate from Windows to Linux is far better than
> that of Gnome which in my humble opinion looks more like the Apple style
> approach.  True, Gnome might be easy to learn, but then, so is KDE,
> Gnome is quite archaic in some ways (nautilus for example) but quite
> efficient in other ways (low memory usage).  But hey, guess what, we
> have two great user interfaces and all of us can choose which one we
> want to use.  Both KDE and Gnome have their pros and cons, and they will
> always have them because there will always be people who like one or the
> other, and if you want a broader example, take politics, there are
> liberal and conservative parties.
>
> Constantinos

How could you possibly call Gnome memory efficient?
A simple experiment (Ubuntu x86_64). Sure the RSS of gnome-terminal
is smaller, but they are all about 5x bigger than xterm.

  PID USER     COMMAND                       RSS    SZ
10041 2997     rxvt                         2324   832
10075 2997     xterm                        3860  1888
10051 2997     konsole                     21036  2816
 5412 2997     gnome-terminal              19236 16876

--
Stephen Hemminger <shemminger at linux-foundation.org>