[Desktop_architects] Regarding GNOME usability (and the Linus, Schaller debate)

Nuno J. Silva nunojsg at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 13:42:15 PST 2007

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 12:49:29 -0800
"Andrew Spott" <andrew.spott at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why hasn't someone just put an option SOMEWHERE. (really anywhere, in
> the gconf database, in some 'somewhat' hidden check box somewhere,
> somewhere that isn't impossible to find, but beginning users will be
> deferred from changing it and making themselves overwhelmed.)  This
> option turns on all advanced dialog boxes in all the configuration
> menus everywhere.  When you are planning on removing a feature
> because it isn't needed and the beginning user might become confused
> by it; you put it in the advanced part of that dialog.  When someone
> wants an obscure feature that doesn't go with the "keep things simple
> for the new user mentality" put it in the advanced part of that
> dialog.
>
> This isn't that difficult, and everyone wins.  Organize the features
> enough so that it doesn't look cluttered, and let the word out so
> advanced users know.

I can't understand what's the interest in having something like gconf -
I am not a GNOME user, but I am using a GTK-based desktop (XFCE 4.4) and
sometimes I have to change settings using gconf. And it is everything
but intuitive. A window with separators, buttons (like the XFCE settings
manager), or a tree (like KDE kontrol center), with the features
correctly organized, with some context-help and some
informative text would be better.

--
Nuno J. Silva
Lisbon, Portugal

Using Claws Mail 2.7.0

Gentoo Base System version 1.12.6
Linux 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 i686 Pentium II (Deschutes)

-=-=-
An OS/2 professional visits a seminar for Windows 95. During the
practice lesson Bill Gates asks him: "What do you like about
Windows95?" He answers, "That YOU have to use it."