[Desktop_architects] Regarding GNOME usability (and the Linus, Schaller debate)

Thilo Pfennig thilopfennig at foresightlinux.org
Sun Feb 25 03:03:58 PST 2007

On 2/24/07, Andrew Spott <andrew.spott at gmail.com> wrote:

I'm dying to know what the issues with doing this are, because I don't see
> them, but it seems like such a simple solution, in a debate that has been
> going on for a while I'm surprised that it hasn't happened yet.

Well the thing is that you always have to make design decisions on a
desktop. Every desktop or OS does this. I agree with the "make simple things
simple, but allow advanced usage approach". The problem with that is that
you rhen really have two or more desktops in one. I dont know any desktop
that does this. Windows and Mac OS also make designe decisions and make it
very hard to do advanced things.

KDE for its part make it very hard to find the options you want to set. If I
use KDE it often takes me many minutes to find a setting because there are
so much and to guess where a settings is in the tree is not intuitive - als
also sometimes you dont find it in control center but in konqueror settings.

I really think desktops can and should learn from each other. More than
nowdays.

regards,

Thilo

-- =